Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Guitarist Comedians

What a big week. Today I feel apprehensive, I'm jumping into things I've never tried before. It's scary, but exciting.
I'm very probably following Flo Lee to Nepal for a mission trip at the end of this year, part of it is to conduct a music workshop. Guitar!
I'm so happy.
Happy.
Happy.

Secondly, meeting new people. I'm going for the annual Bon Odori festival in Shah Alam this year, (ponteng evening service) and meeting up with fellow YL-ers, whom I've never seen in person.
Although in Japan , this festival is a buddhist celebration commemorating the dead, in Malaysia it's more a cultural festival with dances, performances, food and exhibitions.
Here's a video of last year's Bon Odori. Apparently it has been going on for 30+ years already. Wooh!


Thirdly, Lake and Mel have agreed to slot me in for one or two singspiration sessions for the upcoming Alpha course.
Yay!

Oh, by the way, I chanced upon this really great guitarist comedian, Roy Paravonian.
Here he live at Penn State University:


Poor Pachelbel!
Note: 1)Pachelbel's full name really is Johann Pachelbel
2) Yes, the cello part really is just 8 notes played over and over again. These 8 note/chord
progression (I /V /VI/ III/ IV/ I/ IV/ V) is known as a canon, and can be played in any
key. Pachelbel made it in D major. The other modern musicians simply followed the
canon chord progression, that's why it fit.

(My fav part is " Punk music is a joke, it's really just Baroque, Haha!)

Currently listening to: Make Her Mine,Sing Sing Sing and Mexican Flyer as performed by the Swing Girls


Yes, that's the amazing Ueno Juri. This film is from 2004. Loved it. All that jazz. The story's a bit like sister Act.All the actors/actresses performed their own music. This style of jazz is called big band.
It's really hard to catch the jazz beat if the ears are so used to conventional music.

Struggling with: It's only love by Hikki

No comments: